I John 3:18

1 John 3:18 - "Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth." . . . This is a great verse to remind us to not only talk the talk, but walk the walk.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Changing our night time routine

After having several nights of the boys not being quite in bed till after 9pm (and going to bed at 7:30). We decided that something needed to change. They can no longer go to bed at the same time. But that means that one of them needs to stay up later. ugh! I was not looking forward to this. Neither of the boys are ready to go to bed at 7, nor would either of them be quite enough for the other one to be in there by 7:30. - not to mention we have been going to church on Wednesday nights (yay!) and don't get home from that till just after 8:00pm. So we decided 7:30 and 8:00 will just have to do for now.

Caleb gets put down at 7:30 and is asleep by 8:00. What were we supposed to do with Elijah though while we were waiting for Caleb to fall asleep though? The first and easiest thought was to let him play or watch his favorite show (Mighty Machines). But I have been praying about how to start really teaching Elijah about God/Jesus/the Bible. And it was laid on my heart that Steven and I should use that time to teach Elijah. We don't wanna use the "kids bibles" as we don't feel that are always accurate. But at the same time I feel that just reading right out of the bible wont keep his attentions as I don't think he will understand it. So if anyone has any ideas of books or studies for kids, please share!

We decided until we figured something out we would just read Genesis and take it one "day" at a time. ---hehe -- as in the first day we started we read what God made on the first day, and yesterday we read what God made on the second day. and then talked about it.

I think I saw/read someone incorporate an activity with this on a blog. They drew bubble numbers and inside the numbers they colored what was made on that day.... example - inside the number "1" they colored half of the "1" black to symbolize that God made light and darkness on the first day. I am thinking about doing something like this to hang up on his wall. Will post pictures when we get done with all 7 days :)

1 comment:

Kaela said...

I remember my Mom doing the creation day bubble things with me :) It's really cool that you both are beginning to teach him things like this. One thing that might interest him is memorizing Bible verses. Pick a Psalm or something, and just take it little by little. You'll be amazed at how good they are at it!

Missing all of you guys!