We got Elijah a Tonka bike for christmas - it is super heavy but has lots of great features... the handle bars are almost completely straight (great for keeping balance in my opinion) and there is extra bars that keep the bike from jack-knifing on him... and ... IT'S TONKA!
Anywho, for a little background... Last Christmas Elijah got a wooden balance bike. He didn't want anything to do with it for a few months, but sometime during march 2011 he gave it a chance
Then in May his bike broke due to it being wooden and stayed in my trunk most of the summer (and the heat took a tole on the glue that held the wooden pieces together). So I found a new balance bike that was not made of wood lol. This one was a little bigger and has foot pegs to put your feet on when you are balancing to let kids start to learn where their feet need to be to pedal.
And this morning Elijah got his first "real" bike. We were not sure how it was going to go as he doesn't do change well and has never used pedals before. But we went outside and he got on the bike for the first time at 1:25 (gotta love camera that tell you the time the pics were taken!) and loved it!
and a minute after that I took a video and he rode by himself for the first time!! (1:28)
Then at 1:30 he decided he could start off by himself...
and now he is a champ!
I think it will be awhile before I wont worry about him crashing, but for him being out there all of 8 minutes and then doing this....
I give all the credit to the balance bike! - It is worth it!! The proof is in this post lol
ONE **VERY** PROUD BOY WHO KNOWS HOW TO RIDE A BIG BOY BIKE....
*** Side note - we realized that helmet was too big and went to walmart the next day and got him a new one***
3 comments:
yay, 'lijah! (at first the videos wouldn't come up.) he's so good at it, and so soon? good job, buddy♥
HORRAY for ELIJAH today!!!
That is amazing! Sure wish it was that easy with my kids... :) Great Job Elijah! (and mom and dad, too)
That is so cool. Silas needs to learn how to ride...it isn't going to happen anytime soon though bc I am just not that good at being two parents in one (I'll let the man teach him that one)
Post a Comment